Friday, November 03, 2006

Finally a report!

My apologies to those of you who still faithfully follow this blog! It has been awhile since I have written.  The last few weeks have been somewhat hectic and action packed to say the least!  For us as a family, we have sold our house in Lac La Biche and had the movers come to load up our “stuff” (after 27 years we certainly have accumulated lots of “stuff”!) which they deliver at our house in Sherwood Park today.  Neil has been hammering out concrete in order to put a new foundation down for the elevator.  He still has to cut out the cement in the wall of the garage for the elevator door and build the shaft before they can come and install the elevator.  Meanwhile, he is also hammering out the cement in the bathroom so he can re-pour the floor with a slope for the wheel-in shower.  We will enlarge the bathroom, re-do the plumbing and tile the whole room.  This seems like a daunting task and it is!  Contractors are hard to find because the construction business here is booming but if anyone knows Neil, they know he is made of “why pay someone else to do the job when you can do it yourself”!  I’m hopeful that we will be living in the house by Christmas…

Mike finally had his drivers test and passed!! Now he starts the next leg of the journey which will be to get a vehicle.  We are certainly more conscious of the weather and the fact that it’s been cold and the snow is staying on the ground means wheeling outside isn’t always easy.  Hats off to those who faithfully shovel their sidewalks!  Mike continues to have “firsts” - the most recent being a fall from his wheelchair.  He was meeting someone at the university and took the LRT.  While getting off the train, he misjudged the gap, jammed his front tires and fell forward.  A couple immediately came to his aid and he was up and wheeling within minutes but it was a humbling experience.  Mike took it all in stride and his comment was “Well, I’ve gotten that out of the way and it wasn’t so bad!”  Having the ability to laugh at yourself and take life in stride is one of his greatest strengths.

One thing I have noticed throughout this experience is the strength of the bond between the brothers.  Steve and Mike talk regularly on the phone (sometimes for hours!) and Matt will often come to hang out with Mike when he is not in touch by phone.  They look forward to living together again once we are all settled at the house in Sherwood Park.  It feels good to know there is strong “cement” holding this family together!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the house is coming alone nicely though a lot of work.

Congratulations on passing your drivers test Mike. And way to be so positive through everything.

I've been thinking about your family and how amazing it is that you support each other through everything. I have been becoming more and more greatful that God gave us families everytime I read your posts and peoples comments. It is incredible the way people rally together to help and encourage each other. People from all over as well. Look at me. I live in Ontario and I heard about you from my Aunt Mary in BC. I know that there are many in our family here in ON, and across the country that are praying for you. That is amazing. And add that to the numerous people who comment and/or are on that map thing, it is insanely awesome!!. God is amazing in how He brings people around us in our time of need.

Ok I am done now. Keep going strong and ALWAYS try to find something to smile about (expecially with a great smile like yours Mike).

God Bless,

~Julie-Anne~

Anonymous said...

Hi Barkers,

Wow! It's awesome (still) to hear of all your accomplishments. I've been so busy lately, this is the first time since the last update that I've even checked in. You have no idea how happy I was to see a new update!! Congrats, Mike on the drivers test. Hope you're able to find a pimped out car! :) And I'm amazed to see/read that Neal is doing almost ALL the home imp., and I've gotta say his motto isn't too different from my own dad's. Barkers, you're all still in my prayers.

Britney
Mich.

Anonymous said...

Hi from Michigan! Thanks so much for the update---many of us are not writing comments as often, but know that we faithfully check in on you guys and are praying. We love your posts, Brenda, but please don't feel any pressure on our account; we understand your days are quite full. Time sure flies when you're having fun!?? Well, gotta get to church. I pray this week is a productive one, covered in God's grace.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the upbeat news. Awesome to have your license, eh Mik? I gues you'll have to check special vehicle places now? Careful on the ice. That's cool how you kept going after the fall too. Keep up the good effort, and God bless.
Andrew Siebert

Anonymous said...

Hi! Wow you can drive, that is awesome. I am so glad that things are getting better. There are probably still going to be alot of firsts. It is great to hear that you still have your awesome sense of humor Michael. Take care and know that Mr. Franchuk and Mrs. Hannan think of you very fondly alot.

Anonymous said...

Wow you can drive, that is awesome. I'm sure that you will probably have more first but I know that you will beable to handle them. Mr. Franchuk and I remember your awesome sense of humor and are really glad that you still have it. Take care and best of health to all the Barkers. Terry Hannan

Anonymous said...

Barker family

thanks for letting us know how u guys are doing. i am very glad to hear that things are staring to some what get back to normal for the family. and for mike i so glad that u have gotten your drivers look out ppl in sherwood park lol. take care of your selvs barker family my thoughts are alwyas with ya and mike by the way u should return ppl's phone calls lol jj take care
sherraz

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say thanks for these updates. I know that appreciate them greatly as do many others I am sure. However, please don't feel obligated to post on a regular basis. Do it when you have time. Life is way more important so keep living it to the fullest.
God Bless,
~Julie-Anne~

Anonymous said...

Hi Barkers,

Thanks for the updates. Just want you all to know that we continue to think about you, pray for you and miss you up here in Lac La Biche.

Rob and Joanne Wicker

Anonymous said...

Sweet! I'm away from NBBI for Nov. break, and on a computer that I can access the "comments" part of blogs! This is one of the sites I check every day...you guys are definitely not forgotten!

Wow, sounds like a lot of work to get the house ready. Glad you can do a lot of it on your own. Hope you'll be in by Christmas...that would be so nice.

Congratulations on getting your drivers again, Mike! Hope you're able to get a vehicle without too much delay.

Brenda, tihs past week I played for all the chapels, prayer meetings, and Sunday services...I'm thankful for your teaching! (and now I really know the importance of keeping on going even when you make a mistake, 'cause they're not going to stop and wait for you!)

Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.

~Lois